Sunday, February 5, 2012

February Bees


     I took this photo yesterday in Cottonwood Garden of one of our girls enjoying what I believe is an anemone.  It was a sunny 8 degrees C. (46 fahrenheit) and the girls were buzzing about, some returning with yellow pollen which probably came from nearby witch hazels.  I spotted a native blue orchard bee (Mason Bee Vancouver) foraging in the witch hazels as well.

Blue Orchard Mason Bee
    There is a number of plants in bloom including hellebores and plum blossoms.  Reading about the folks at Mudsongs who beekeep in St. John's, Newfoundland and their battle with cold temperatures and snow made me realize how lucky we west coast beekeepers are.
     I will finalize my order this week for a few New Zealand Kintail Carniolan hybrid bee packages due to arrive at the end of the month.  That means I will have to get busy and build my screened bottom boards (Homemade beehive) and other assorted hive body parts.  I fed the ladies a few pollen patties at the end of January and will feed them possibly twice more to stimulate brood production. My goal is to build up the hive population early and split the hive in May.  We may get one more cold snap but with any luck I believe our bees will survive the winter.  Good luck to all the beekeepers in cold locations like St. John's.  Spring is just around the corner.

*Bob at West Coast Bee Supplies (604-272-1921) has lots of bee packages available.  His New Zealand Kintail Carniolan bees will be arriving on February 29th at 4:30 p.m.
   



0 comments:

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget