Saturday, April 21, 2012

Beekeeping 101


     There are many great, free sources of information available for the beginner beekeeper.  This is a selection of powerpoint presentations, videos and books which will provide you with the tools needed to begin beekeeping.  To begin I strongly recommend the online powerpoint presentation Beeology 101 by Dr. James Tew of Ohio State University which explains the anatomy of the honey bee.  You should then watch Beekeeping 101 (Dr. Tew) to get an introduction to the practice of beekeeping. This will provide you with the introductory skills required to start beekeeping.  A Web-Based Introductory Beekeeping Training Program (Beekeeping Training Program) from the Ohio State Beekeepers Association (Presenters John Grafton & Jim Tew) is a great step-by-step beginners resource.   A good follow up to this introduction would be Hive Health Diagnostics by Barbara Bloetscher of O.S.U.  Although there are many great books for the beginning beekeeper I recommend Backyard Beekeeping by Dr. James E. Tew, Basic Beekeeping by Penn State and At the Hive Entrance by H. Storch.  A free online course from the University of California, "Honey Bees and Colony Strength Evaluation" is useful for all beekeepers from the beginner to the professional. The course consists of individual modules that provide background information on honey bees as well as clear, consistent recommendations for apiary inspection.  The modular approach requires short blocks of time for each section and the viewer can proceed at their own pace viewing modules in any order they wish.  Modules covering basic information may not be necessary for more experienced beekeepers or apiary inspectors. However, for those less familiar with the process, training modules can be re-visited as necessary. To take the course log in as a guest here.  While it is possible to start beekeeping without any lessons it's suggested that you take a beekeeping course to learn the basics so that you are prepared for the challenges that will inevitably arise when tending to livestock.  Once you have completed this the most important aspect of your learning experience will be to find a local beekeeper or beekeeping organization that will share their experiences with you.  There are beekeeping organizations almost everywhere and something I have found is that beekeepers throughout the world are usually helpful and willing to share their love and knowledge of bees.  Although I have never taken a beekeeping lesson I cannot consider myself self taught as I have had the luxury of good beekeeper friends who have allowed me to observe and answered my endless questions with commendable patience. 
     A wonderful aspect of beekeeping is that there is always something new to learn.  For more information on bees and beekeeping go to the Beekeepers' Library.  

"There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance."

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful suggestion, Danielle. I'm one of those self-taught beekeepers, a lot of trial and error, but it has been a great ride. I started to take a basic course just for the experience, but I had already done everything they were studying, so I elected to just keep going on my own. I'm fortunate to have a lot of beekeeper friends who help when I hit a snag, and there can be a lot of snags in beekeeping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you I am self-taught and have had a great time learning from so many experienced beekeeper friends. Most of them I didn't know before I started beekeeping.

    ReplyDelete

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget